Answer this Question: “What would you do if you were mayor for a day?”
ABOUT THE CONTEST: Deadline for submission is Dec. 12. Students and parents/guardians can submit essays via an online form, a PDF email attachment, or through the mail. Winners will be notified in early January. Contest is sponsored by the League of Minnesota Cities (lmc.org)
PRIZE: Win $100, receive recognition in Minnesota Cities magazine and St. Anthony Social Media
How to submit your essays?
There are three ways to send us your students’ essays.
- Submit online – students can enter their essays into this online form and submit them directly.
- Print and Mail – you can print this document for students to handwrite their essays and then mail them in to 145 University Ave. W, Saint Paul, MN 55103.
- Email as an attachment – students can type their essays into the fillable PDF, save the document, and then email the finalized PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What does a mayor do anyway? Becoming mayor of your city is exciting — and we want you to be ready!
- It’s the mayor’s job to listen to residents and help the city meet its goals. Mayors must love where they live and be willing to work hard to make their city the best it can be.
- In some cities, the mayor leads council meetings and votes like other council members. In other cities, the mayor plans a budget too.
- Most mayors do not get paid, but some receive a small allowance for the many hours they spend working as mayor.